Re: Microsoft Internet Explorer ImageMap URL Spoof Vulnerability

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 09:53:33AM -0000, sandrijeski@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I can't see this as vulnerability because its legal code I do
> something similar without using image map for my site to hide the
> affiliate tracking code.
>
> This is the code:
> <a onmouseover="window.status='http://www.the-url-you-see.com;return true"
> title="The Link"
> onmouseout="window.status='Whatever-you-like-here';return true"
> href='http://www.some-other-url.com'>The link</a>
>
> living example: http://lotdcrew.org/drunkteam_new/page/affiliates.php

Well, yes, it's true that with JavaScript and window.status we can never
trust the status line again, but the point of the original posting was
that this could be done on browsers with JavaScript *disabled*.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@xxxxxxxxxxx    roam@xxxxxxxx    roam@xxxxxxxxxxx
I've heard that this sentence is a rumor.