Re: RFC: virus handling

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Pavel Levshin wrote:

> Antivirus software MAY be configured to send notifications to local senders
> and/or recipients, i.e. to domains which are handled by this server.
> Antivirus filtering software SHOULD NOT be configured to send out
> notifications to senders or recipients other than local, unless it
> distinguishes between faked and real addresses.

I would add:

"If anti-virus filtering software sends notifications to non-local
 recipients, then the sender address of the notifications MUST be an
 address that can be replied to, and this reply MUST reach a human
 being."

Rationale:  When my filtering software bounces all these stupid notifications,
I want a person to get stuck with all the bounce messages, thereby encouraging
him/her to turn off non-local notifications.

--
David.