Re: Netscape Communicator 4.x sensitive informations in configuration file

>It seems that I'm one of the last Netscape 4.x users.
>The following paste shows the IMAP mail part of this
configuration file.
>You can see that the line 17 shows the unencrypted
password

Netscape 4.x is out of date - we recommend that
everyone upgrade to our latest version, Netscape 7.02.
In versions 6.1 and later, when the user chooses to
store a password, it is saved by default in
Base64-encoded format, but not encrypted. The user can
choose to encrypt all stored passwords with a "master
password" which acts as the key for a strong encryption
algorithm (3DES or AES, I think).    To turn on the
strong encryption, choose Preferences from the Edit
menu. Open the "Privacy & Security" tab, click
"Passwords," and check the box labeled "use encryption
when storing sensitive data."
     -Mitch Stoltz
      Netscape Client Security & Privacy