Re: vpopmail CGIapps vpasswd vulnerabilities

> Product Name: vpopmail-CGIApps
> Systems: Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/NetBSD

At first I thought this meant it was available from these *BSD package
collections.

But I guess this means that this applies to any system that supports
os.system using a shell.

Also the name of the program is vpasswd.cgi (not to be confused with
different vpasswd).

> .: Workaround
>
> Before the os.system() method is called:
>
> string.replace(direc, ";", "")
> string.replace(passx, ";", "")

Also, need to check for other shell operators, meta-characters, etc.

> The vendor has released version 0.3 in response of this advisory.

I see the fix has a partial fix.

It doesn't check for `backtick` or $(rm whatever) etc.

Also, it shouldn't just blindly replace with nothing and still run
command, because it may still have unexpected results (so better to just
error instead).

   Jeremy C. Reed

   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/