Re: Ambiguities in TCP/IP - firewall bypassing

Paul Starzetz  wrote:
>We believe that the flaws we have detected have a big impact on
>design of firewalls and packet filters since an improper implementation
>can easily lead to serious security problems.

Is there any reason to expect that such improper implementation
would be common?

As far as I know, the common case is packet filters that look at
only the ACK and SYN bits.  A typical configuration: All incoming
packets with the ACK bit set are allowed, as are all outgoing packets.
The anomalies you found don't seem to pose any problems for such a
style of configuration.

Are you aware of any common configurations that are at risk?