Re: Linux Kernel Exploits / ABFrag

From: Peter Pentchev (roam@ringlet.net)
Subject: Re: *BSD remote kernel-level (TCP/IP stack)
vulnerability! - ABFrag.c

Newsgroups: fa.freebsd.bugs
Date: 2002-09-23 07:04:01 PST

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 03:51:54PM +0300,
cizbasa@info.uvt.ro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all this is hear-say, but being from a
reliable source (imho),
> here it is:
>
> There supposedly is an exploit named ABFrag.c in the
wild that affects the
> TCP/IP stack on *BSD systems, providing remote root
shell to the attacker.

There have been various rumours of exploits using
fragmented packets for
the TCP/IP stacks of various OS's in the past few
years.  I personally
find them very hard to believe: the TCP/IP stack is
part of the kernel,
and while it may be theoretically possible that the
fragmented packets'
handling is a bit off-base, it would be *very* hard to
write an exploit
that would perform a stack smash in the kernel, then
pass control to a
kernel routine that would start a userland process,
bind it to a
listening port, then make sure it starts up a shell.
Mind you, I am not
saying that this would be impossible, just very, very,
*very* much
improbable :)  Even if it were true, it would be very
much more harder
to write so that it would affect *different* OS's: the
differences in
the TCP stacks are not that large, but significant for
at least this
purpose.

> The system of someone that I know has been rooted
using it (he was pasted
> some lines from his /etc/shadow as proof).

Well, first of all, I assume you mean
/etc/master.passwd, because there
is no /etc/shadow in FreeBSD :)

Second, are you absolutely sure that your
acquaintance's system was not
"rooted" using another exploit?  Apache+OpenSSL and
telnetd come to mind
immediately, there were a couple of others in the past
few months.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
Key fingerprint	FDBA FD79 C26F 3C51 C95E  DF9E ED18

>Hi,
>exist rumors about this exploit since 3 months. The
archive aparently exp=
>lores
>an imperfection in the TCP Sync (i dont know details
about problem). Due
>to rumors, exist more two exploits for the problem
(maybe fake).
>Some forums like ByteRage's PRIVATE forum was
dicussing it in private (it=

>is bad to kids/defacers, but good to security
professionals and admins).
>Thanks to you and all list readers...
>Nilson Gomes

4:30 pm GMT my
>>IDS began reporting strange TCP behaviour on my
network segment. As I
>>was unable to verify the cause of this behaviour I
was forced to remove
>>the Linux box that I use a border gateway and traffic
monitor - at no sm=
>all
>>cost to my organization - the network is yet to be
reconnected.
>>After a reboot and preliminary analysis I found the
binary ABfrag sittin=
>>in /tmp. It had only been created minutes before.
>>Setting up a small sandbox I ran the program and was
presented with the
>following
>>output:
>>

>>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>----
>>
>>ABfrag - Linux Kernel ( <=3D 2.4.20pre20 ) Remote
Syncing exploit

>>Found and coded by Ac1db1tch3z - t3kn10n, n0n3 and
t3kn0h03.

>>WARNING:
>>Unlicensed usage and/or distribution of this program
carries heavy fines=

>>and penalties under American, British, European and
International copyri=
>ght
>>law.
>>Should you find this program on any compromised
system we urge you to de=
>lete
>>this binary rather than attempt distribution or
analysis. Such actions
>would
>>be both unlawful and unwise.
>>
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>----
>>password:
>>invalid key
>>
>>I remembered, vaguely - I sift through a lot of
security mail each day,
>some
>>
>>talk of a rumoured Linux kernel exploit circulating
among members of the=

>>hacker
>>underground. On the advice of some friends in
law-enforcement I joined
>the
>>EFnet
>>channels #phrack and #darknet and tried to solicit
some information rega=
>rding
>>this
>>alleged exploit. Most people publicly attacked me for
my neivette but tw=
>>individuals
>>contacted me via private messages and informed me
that the "ac1db1tch3z"=

>>were bad news,
>>apparently a group of older (mid 20's) security
guru's, and that I shoul=
>>delete the
>>exploit and forget I ever knew it existed.
>>However, somthing twigged my sense of adventure and
prompted me to try
>and
>>get this out
>>to the community.
>>
>>Any help or information regarding this will be of
great help.

>>I have attached the binary although it appears to be
encrypted and passw=
>orded.
>>I wish
>>any skilled programmers the best of luck in
decyphering it.

>>Yours,
>>
>>Daniel Roberts
>>Head Network Manager

>----
>>This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS
analyzer service.
>>For more information on this free incident handling,
management
http://aris.securityfocus.com