Re: Solaris 2.6, 7, 8

On Wed, 02 Oct 2002, you wrote:
> But, the remote setting of TTYPROMPT does matter. you can not succeed in
> login without remotely changing the TTYPROMPT. This is also the bug
> mentioned in Jonathan's original letter (bid:5531).

I have heard several conflicting reports on this matter and there are at least
two published exploits for the Solaris login overflow (by mat@monkey.org and
morgan@sexter.com) that do *not* explicitly set the TTYPROMPT environment
variable.

If somone (perhaps somone from Sun) could clarify this matter once and for all
i would be most gratefull.

-tb0b

--
tb0b, Nietzschean.
No Religion. No Flag. No Phear.

http://bitterness.primitive-incision.co.uk/

   `Who said anything about cutting you up man?
    I just wanted to carve a little `z' on your forehead.'
                    -Dr Gonzo, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vagas"