VU#197395 Microsoft IIS SMTP encapsulated e-mail address vulnerability - update

IIS Microsoft SMTP Service Encapsulated SMTP Address Vulnerability

	On March 29th 2002 we sent a Portcullis Advisory to Microsoft and
CERT regarding the above vulnerability. This Advisory came about as a direct
result from the findings of tests on a customer's system and information
given to us about that system's configuration. It was not possible for us to
verify this information using any independent means.

	During the forty-five day grace period before publication we had
some dialogue both with Microsoft and another security company who had
reported similar findings.

	After publication of our Advisory we received a formal response from
Microsoft and performed further testing and verification of the system
configuration. It has become evident that some of the earlier information we
had was, in fact, inaccurate and this in turn led us to the wrong
conclusion.

	With the latest evidence in mind we wish to retract our earlier
statements about this vulnerability.

	Sincerely,
	Thomas Liam Romanis
	Security Testing Services Manager (PTT Manager)
	CHECK Certified Penetration Tester.
	Portcullis Computer Security Ltd.