Re: MacOS X SoftwareUpdate Vulnerability

>> Date:      July 6, 2002
>> Version:   MacOS 10.1.X and possibly 10.0.X
>> Problem:   MacOS X SoftwareUpdate connects to the SoftwareUpdate Server
via
>>            HTTP with no authentication, leaving it vulnerable to attack.
>[...]
>> Solution/Patch/Workaround:
>[...]
>
>A possible workaround:
>
>System Preferences -> Software Update -> Update Software: [x] Manually
>Donīt touch the "Update Now"-Button!
>
>Look for updates on http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html
>Use trusted networks or http-to-mail gateway to get the files.

How is this an improvement? The whole premise of the attack relies on
DNS/ARP poisoning/spoofing, which is super trivial if you are local, pretty
easy on the same subnet, and usually possible across the Internet. So
instead of directing you to swquery.apple.com or *.g.akamai.net I simply
redirect you to my version of www.apple.com.

Apple doesn't even post MD5 sum's of the files, let alone a PGP/GnuPG
signature, there is absoulutely no verification of the packages as far as I
can tell.

>HTH,
>
>Julian

Kurt Seifried, kurt@seifried.org