Old (and fixed) Windows bug - was Re: BPM STUDIO PRO 4.2 DOS DEVICE PATH VULNERABILITY

At 04:00 AM 2/27/2002, ][-][UNTER wrote:
>BPM STUDIO PRO 4.2 is one of the most famous mp3 mixer and player and it has
>an http server implementation for manage the player via the web browser.
>
>Unfortunatly, when you perform a simple http request like:
>http://BPM-HOST/con/con
>you can crash instantly non-patched Win9x host with a simple Blue Screen !!

This old chestnut again?

This is an _operating_system_ issue.  There's very little that an app could
do, even if it wanted to, to protect against this particular crash.

As noted, there is a patch out there for vulnerable operating systems - why
are we still seeing this reported as an application bug?

Alun.
~~~~

--
Texas Imperial Software   | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find us at
1602 Harvest Moon Place   | http://www.wftpd.com or email alun@texis.com