Re: ICQ remote buffer overflow vulnerability

elijah wright wrote:

>>This is very similar to the AIM overflow recently discovered.
>>ICQ protocol uses the same TLV (2711) packet and there is a similar
>>weakness in the parsing of the packet.
>>

> duh, that's because its essentially the same protocol.  :)

I disagree: there is an important distinction between the protocol (the
rules) and the parsing of the data (the implementation).

> ICQ clients should probably be viewed with the same suspicion as the
> vulnerable AIM clients.

This assumes that the coders who developed ICQ made the same errors as
the codes who developed AIM.

I happen to agree, but not because they use the same protocol. I agree
because many programmers do not know how to code (and parse) safely...

'ken'