Re: More reading of local files in MSIE

--- jelmer <jelmer@kuperus.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> More reading of local files in MSIE
>
> Description
>

> There is a security vulnerability in IE 5.5 and 6
> (probably other
> versions as well) which allows reading and sending
> of local files.
> The problem lies in the fact that you are able to
> access a local file's
> dom by calling the execScript function on a newly
> created window
> The sample exploit provided can only read browser
> readable files

It might be noted here that this tends to be
"text/html", and probably the most single vulnerable
filetype that is of this kind is of ".log" format.
This means if you can read "c:\file.txt" you can also
read Apache, IIS, database, Mirc, and whatever other
type of .log files might be on someone's system except
for one's locked by a system process.

... however, from looking at the source code it
contains the same usage of document.write() which was
in the bug I just released.

Jelmer's:
"        extDoc =
document.open('file:///C:/jelmer.txt','jelmer','height=200,width=400,status=no,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no');"

mine:
var y = document.open( "c:/test.txt", "x",
"width=400,height=400,status = yes, location =
yes,resizable = yes, toolbar=yes" );

It doesn't matter if it is "cmd  =
'extDoc.execScript("alert(document.body.innerText)",
"Jscript");';" that is able to read the code or this:
setTimeout('alert(y.document.body.innerHTML);y.document.close();',1000);
-- they are just the same thing.

(ref: http://www.osioniusx.com document.write()) bug.

Basically, the problem is that when the
document.write() uses the window.open() method as
described on the msdn website for the method here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_1.asp

The actual exploit code doesn't really matter. I
understand the misunderstanding because it is just
simply such a common method.