Re: Mail Essentials reveals identity of first BCC recipient

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 09:55:18AM +0000, Ronan Waide wrote:
> Hi Bugtraqers,
>
> I recently received a marketing mail from a supplier who uses an email
> content filter called Mail Essentials from GFI Software (see
> http://www.gfisoftware.com/me/mesfeatures.htm for more
> information). The message had no destination address, having been sent
> to a BCC list. On inspecting the Received: headers, I found one
> inserted by Mail Essentials:

> 	Mail essentials (server 2.422) with SMTP id: <513@mail.server>
> 	 for <bcc_person@address>; Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:19:12 +0100
> 	smtpmailfrom <originator@address>
>
> The 'bcc_person@address' was, presumably, the first person on the BCC
> list - it certainly wasn't /my/ address. I brought this to the
> attention of GFI software over a month ago, and the eventual response
> was to the effect that 'BCC headers get stripped out' - evidently the
> problem was misunderstood. Since I've not heard anything more from
> them after clarifying the situation, I'm posting the problem here in
> case anyone happens to use this software in-house.
>
> Cheers,
> Waider.

True, the described behaviour is usually not desirable. ''GFI Software''
ought to consider to change it.

On the other hand, RFC 2821 and RFC 2822 clearly indicates that the Bcc:
field is not to be trusted in general unless you know for certain how it
will be handled.

RFC 2821, section:
4.4 Trace Information
7.2 ''Blind'' Copies
7.5 Information Disclosure in Trace Fields

RFC 2822, section:
3.6.3. Destination address fields
5 Security Considerations

Sincerely,