Re: SECURITY.NNOV: file locking and security (group policy DoS on Windows 2000 domain)

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:57:58AM +0300, 3APA3A wrote:
> The way file locks interfere with file access depends on OS. There are 2
> possible  situations:  moderate  and  non-moderate  file locks. *BSD and
> linux  use  non-moderate  locking, while Windows NT locking is moderate.
> What  does it mean? Under Unix file locking is only checked then another
> application  tries  to  lock  the  file. If application doesn't use file
> locking  it  will  not be affected by file locking.

3APA3A -- close....

A long-time feature of many Unix systems, including Linux (and probably
all the BSDs too, but I don't know this for sure) is mandatory file
locking, implemented in the kernel. It can be turned on using the setgid
bit on regular files.

Look for Documentation/mandatory.txt in the linux kernel source tree. It
has all the gory details on mandary file locking, as it is implemented
in the linux kernel. (Or, was implemented, in 1996.. :)

Cheers!

--
People who separate manpages from the programs
they document would steal sheep.  -- apologies to Goudy

PGP signature