Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-055

Microsoft Product Security <secnotif@MICROSOFT.COM> wrote:

> Mitigating Factors: [...]

> Users who have set Outlook Express to use the "Restricted
> Sites" Zone are not affected by the HTML mail exploit of this
> vulnerability

Sorry, but this is not true.

Whilst pages in the Restricted Sites zone are barred from using active
scripting, there are other ways of redirecting the user to a malicious
about: URL. Two I can think of straight away that require no user
intervention are:

  <iframe src="about:...">

both work on Outlook 2000 with mail content in the Restricted Sites
zone. Since I stated exactly this whilst discussing the previous
vulnerability with secure@microsoft, I'm disappointed to see this
argument wheeled out again.

--
Andrew Clover