RE: Ssdpsrv.exe in WindowsME

"Martin L. Drury Jr." <mdrury@ads-corp.com> wrote:

> Last night after I got home from work, I checked my Dell Laptop (which came
> with ME preinstalled) and it too is running the ssdpsrv.  The only things
> I've installed on it since I purchased it are Office 2000, IE6, and the
> software/support drivers for my digital camera.  All of which I don't think
> would have turned it on (although I could be wrong).

Actually, I'd say the digital camera may be a  more likely suspect
than you suggest (though you connected it directly to the laptop via
a USB or FireWire cable, not a network connection, right?)...

> After reading up on UPnP though, I think the triggering item might be Home
> Networking, or whatever it's called in ME.  I don't personally recall
> turning it on, as my laptop automagically selected all the proper settings
> for my ISP (which was kinda nice, and scary at the same time).  The
> knowledge base article seems to suggest that UPnP is not turned on by
> default, but it's possible some OEMs might have it enabled.

Indeed.

   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q262/4/58.ASP

is interesting, but you should also look at:

   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/plan/insidenet/sohonet/upnpsup.asp

which rather firmly implicates the SOHO networking side of things.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald