Re: New command execution vulnerability in myPhpAdmin

Carl Livitt wrote:

>--/ Product: phpMyAdmin versions <= 2.2.0rc3
>--/ Problem: Arbitrary remote command execution
>--/ Severity: High
>--/ Author: Carl Livitt (carl AT ititc DOT com)
>--/ Date: 31 July 2001

This isn't so much a problem with phpMyAdmin as it is with PHP in
general. I would HIGHLY
recommend turning off  register_globals in php.ini (which is the default
in set in php.ini-dist for php4+).
With that option disabled, the only thing that passing in extra
parameters can do is create entries in
the $HTTP_GET_VARS array, and it's not possible to clobber global script
variables.

I tested this with my installation of phpMyAdmin 2.1.0 and it is not
vulnerable to the attack that you
described, due to the settings I mentioned above.