RE: [Bpf] ISA RFC compliance question

> Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 1:17 PM Dave Thaler
> <dthaler=40microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now that we have some new "v4" instructions, it seems a good time to
> > ask about what it means to support (or comply with) the ISA RFC once
> > published.  Does it mean that a verifier/disassembler/JIT compiler/etc. MUST
> support *all* the
> > non-deprecated instructions in the document?   That is any runtime or tool that
> > doesn't support the new instructions is considered non-compliant with the BPF
> ISA?
[...]
> > Or should we create some things that are SHOULDs, or finer grained
> > units of compliance so as to not declare existing deployments non-compliant?
>
> I suspect 'non-compliance' label will cause an unnecessary backlash, so I would
> go with SHOULD wording.

Yeah, but if each instruction is a separate SHOULD, then a runtime could (say)
support one atomic instruction and not others.  Having that level of granularity
would really complicate interoperability and cross-platform tooling in my opinion.
So it might be better to list groups of instructions and have the SHOULD be at the
granularity of a group?

Dave