Re: Question: CO-RE-enabled PT_REGS macros give strange results

On 24/07/2023 11:32, Timofei Pushkin wrote:
> Dear BPF community,
>
> I'm developing a perf_event BPF program which reads some register
> values (frame and instruction pointers in particular) from the context
> provided to it. I found that CO-RE-enabled PT_REGS macros give results
> different from the results of the usual PT_REGS  macros. I run the
> program on the same system I compiled it on, and so I cannot
> understand why the results differ and which ones should I use?
>
> From my tests, the results of the usual macros are the correct ones
> (e.g. I can symbolize the instruction pointers I get this way), but
> since I try to follow the CO-RE principle, it seems like I should be
> using the CO-RE-enabled variants instead.
>
> I did some experiments and found out that it is the
> bpf_probe_read_kernel part of the CO-RE-enabled PT_REGS macros that
> change the results and not __builtin_preserve_access_index. But I
> still don't get why exactly it changes the results.

Can you provide the exact usage of the BPF CO-RE macros that isn't
working, and the equivalent non-CO-RE version that is? Also if you
can provide details on the platform you're running on that will
help narrow down the issue. Thanks!

Alan