RE: [Bpf] Instruction set extension policy

Alexei Starovoitov <alexei.starovoitov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 6, 2023 at 6:35 PM Dave Thaler <dthaler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't see any problem with defining an IANA registry with multiple
> > > "key" fields (opcode+src+imm).  All existing instructions can be done as
> such.
> > >
> > > Below is strawman text that I think follows IANA's requirements
> > > outlined in RFC 8126...
[..]
> > I think that might work. What is the next step then?
> > Who is going to generate such a hex database?
>
> I would be more than happy to do that!
> Will

RFC 8126 requires specifying the initial set of items in the draft, which
upon publication, IANA will use as the seed list and then be the official
list of what is registered.  I already had a list in the Appendix of the draft
which can be used/updated to be that list.

I now have the IANA Considerations text above in a change to the Internet
Draft boilerplate that surrounds the instruction-set.rst.  Since the deadline
for I-D submission is Monday, I plan to make the change and post it on
Monday after making sure any other instruction-set.rst changes get picked
up.

Dave