Re: [RFC bpf-next v2 11/11] net/mlx5e: Support TX timestamp metadata

On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 14:43:57 -0700 John Fastabend wrote:
> What I think would be the most straight-forward thing and most flexible
> is to create a <drvname>_devtx_submit_skb(<drivname>descriptor, sk_buff)
> and <drvname>_devtx_submit_xdp(<drvname>descriptor, xdp_frame) and then
> corresponding calls for <drvname>_devtx_complete_{skb|xdp}() Then you
> don't spend any cycles building the metadata thing or have to even
> worry about read kfuncs. The BPF program has read access to any
> fields they need. And with the skb, xdp pointer we have the context
> that created the descriptor and generate meaningful metrics.

Sorry but this is not going to happen without my nack. DPDK was a much
cleaner bifurcation point than trying to write datapath drivers in BPF.
Users having to learn how to render descriptors for all the NICs
and queue formats out there is not reasonable. Isovalent hired
a lot of former driver developers so you may feel like it's a good
idea, as a middleware provider. But for the rest of us the matrix
of HW x queue format x people writing BPF is too large. If we can
write some poor man's DPDK / common BPF driver library to be selected
at linking time - we can as well provide a generic interface in
the kernel itself. Again, we never merged explicit DPDK support,
your idea is strictly worse.