Re: [RFC bpf-next v2 03/11] xsk: Support XDP_TX_METADATA_LEN

On Sat, Jun 24, 2023 at 2:02 AM Jesper Dangaard Brouer
<jbrouer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Existing XDP metadata implementation also expand in a fixed/limited
> sized memory area, but communicate size per packet in this area (also
> for validation purposes).  BUT for AF_XDP we don't have room for another
> pointer or size in the AF_XDP descriptor (see struct xdp_desc).

> >> No parsing is really needed.  We can simply use BTF IDs and type cast in
> >> BPF-prog. Both BPF-prog and userspace have access to the local BTF ids,
> >> see [1] and [2].
> >>
> >> It seems we are talking slightly past each-other(?).  Let me rephrase
> >> and reframe the question, what is your *plan* for dealing with different
> >> *types* of TX metadata.  The different struct *types* will of-cause have
> >> different sizes, but that is okay as long as they fit into the maximum
> >> size set by this new socket option XDP_TX_METADATA_LEN.
> >> Thus, in principle I'm fine with XSK having configured a fixed headroom
> >> for metadata, but we need a plan for handling more than one type and
> >> perhaps a xsk desc indicator/flag for knowing TX metadata isn't random
> >> data ("leftover" since last time this mem was used).
> >
> > Yeah, I think the above correctly catches my expectation here. Some
> > headroom is reserved via XDP_TX_METADATA_LEN and the flexibility is
> > offloaded to the bpf program via btf_id/tlv/etc.
> >
> > Regarding leftover metadata: can we assume the userspace will take
> > care of setting it up?
> >
> >> With this kfunc approach, then things in-principle, becomes a contract
> >> between the "local" TX-hook BPF-prog and AF_XDP userspace.   These two
> >> components can as illustrated here [1]+[2] can coordinate based on local
> >> BPF-prog BTF IDs.  This approach works as-is today, but patchset
> >> selftests examples don't use this and instead have a very static
> >> approach (that people will copy-paste).
> >>
> >> An unsolved problem with TX-hook is that it can also get packets from
> >> XDP_REDIRECT and even normal SKBs gets processed (right?).  How does the
> >> BPF-prog know if metadata is valid and intended to be used for e.g.
> >> requesting the timestamp? (imagine metadata size happen to match)
> >
> > My assumption was the bpf program can do ifindex/netns filtering. Plus
> > maybe check that the meta_len is the one that's expected.
> > Will that be enough to handle XDP_REDIRECT?
>
> I don't think so, using the meta_len (+ ifindex/netns) to communicate
> activation of TX hardware hints is too weak and not enough.  This is an
> implicit API for BPF-programmers to understand and can lead to implicit
> activation.
>
> Think about what will happen for your AF_XDP send use-case.  For
> performance reasons AF_XDP don't zero out frame memory.  Thus, meta_len
> is fixed even if not used (and can contain garbage), it can by accident
> create hard-to-debug situations.  As discussed with Magnus+Maryam
> before, we found it was practical (and faster than mem zero) to extend
> AF_XDP descriptor (see struct xdp_desc) with some flags to
> indicate/communicate this frame comes with TX metadata hints.

What is that "if not used" situation? Can the metadata itself have
is_used bit? The userspace has to initialize at least that bit.
We can definitely add that extra "has_metadata" bit to the descriptor,
but I'm trying to understand whether we can do without it.