Re: [RFC bpf-next 1/8] btf: add kind metadata encoding to UAPI

On Tue, 2023-06-06 at 13:30 +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
[...]
> As for bumping the version number, I don't think it's a good idea to
> deliberately break compatibility this way unless it's absolutely
> necessary. With "absolutely necessary" meaning "things will break in
> subtle ways in any case, so it's better to make the breakage obvious".
> But it libbpf is not checking the version field anyway, that becomes
> kind of a moot point, as bumping it doesn't really gain us anything,
> then...

It seems to me that in terms of backward compatibility, the ability to
specify the size for each kind entry is more valuable than the
capability to add new BTF kinds:
- The former allows for extending kind records in
  a backward-compatible manner, such as adding a function address to
  BTF_KIND_FUNC.
- The latter is much more fragile. Types refer to each other,
  compatibility is already lost once a new "unknown" tag is introduced
  in a type chain.

However, changing the size of existing BTF kinds is itself a
backward-incompatible change. Therefore, a version bump may be
warranted in this regard.