Re: fd == 0 means AT_FDCWD BPF_OBJ_GET commands

The other thing to note is that while the *convention* may be that 0,
1, and 2 are for stdin, stdout, and stderr, this is a *userspae*
convention.  After all, system daemons like getty, gnome-terminal,
et. al, need to be able to open file descriptors for stdin, stdout,
and stderr, and it would be.....highly undesirable for the kernel to
have to special case those processes from being able to open those
file descriptors.  So in the eyes of Kernel to Userspace API's we
should not specially privilege the meaning of file descriptors 0, 1,
and 2.

Besides, we have a perfectly good way of expressing "not a FD" and
that is negative values!  File descriptors, after all, are signed
integers.

Finally, by having some kernel subsystem have a different meaning for
fd 0 means that there are potential security vulernabilities.  It may
be the case that userspace *SHOULD* not use fd 0 for anythingn other
than stdin, and that should be something which should be handed to it
by its parent process.

However, consider what might happen if a malicious program where to
exec a process, perhaps a setuid process, with fd 0 closed.  Now the
first file opened by that program will be assigned fd 0, and if that
gets passed to BPF, something surprising and wonderous --- but
hopefully not something that can be leveraged to be a high severity
security vulnerability --- may very well happen.

So if there is anyway to that we can change the BPF API's to change to
use negative values for special case meanings, we should do it.
Certainly for any new API's, and even for old API's, Linus has always
said that there are some special case times when we can break the
userspace ABI --- and security vulnerabilites are certainly one of
them.

Best regards,

					- Ted