Re: issue with inflight pages from page_pool

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 4:02 PM Jesper Dangaard Brouer
<jbrouer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With TCP sockets (pipes etc) we can take care of closing the sockets
> (and programs etc) to free up the SKBs (and perhaps wait for timeouts)
> to make sure the page_pool shutdown doesn't hang.

This can not happen in many cases, like pages being now mapped to user
space programs,
or nfsd or whatever.

I think that fundamentally, page pool should handle this case gracefully.

For instance, when a TCP socket is closed(), user space can die, but
many resources in the kernel are freed later.

We do not block a close() just because a qdisc decided to hold a
buffer for few minutes.