Re: [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] fuse passthrough solutions and status

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 7:52 AM Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Several fuse based filesystems pass file data from an underlying
> filesystem without modification.  The added value can come from
> changed directory structure, changed metadata or the ability to
> intercept I/O only in special cases.  This pattern is very common, so
> optimizing it could be very worthwhile.
>
> I'd like to discuss proposed solutions to enabling data passthrough.
> There are several prototypes:
>
>  - fuse2[1] (myself, very old)
>  - fuse-passthrough[2] (Alessio Balsini, more recent)
>  - fuse-bpf[3] (Daniel Rosenberg, new)
>
> The scope of fuse-bpf is much wider, but it does offer conditional
> passthrough behavior as well.
>
> One of the questions is how to reference underlying files.  Passing
> open file descriptors directly in the fuse messages could be
> dangerous[4].  Setting up the mapping from an open file descriptor to
> the kernel using an ioctl() instead should be safe.
>
> Other open issues:
>
>  - what shall be the lifetime of the mapping?
>
>  - does the mapped open file need to be visible to userspace?
> Remember, this is a kernel module, so there's no process involved
> where you could look at /proc/PID/fd.  Adding a kernel thread for each
> fuse instance that installs these mapped fds as actual file descriptor
> might be the solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Miklos
>

> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAJfpegtjEoE7H8tayLaQHG9fRSBiVuaspnmPr2oQiOZXVB1+7g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210125153057.3623715-1-balsini@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> [3] https://lore.kernel.org/all/20221122021536.1629178-1-drosen@xxxxxxxxxx/
>
> [4] https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAG48ez17uXtjCTa7xpa=JWz3iBbNDQTKO2hvn6PAZtfW3kXgcA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

I'd be very interested to discuss fuse-bpf, and how it aligns with the
other efforts. I recall there being some io uring effort as well,
though I haven't looked into that too much yet.

Currently there are plenty of open areas for discussion with how the
bpf side of fuse-bpf interacts with the userspace daemon, particularly
if you create a node via bpf, and later want to handle some call for
it via the daemon.

I've been working on switching fuse-bpf over to using bpf's struct_ops
and kfuncs, along with dynptrs which open up a lot more opportunities
for adding capabilities on the bpf side. For the file descriptor
passing, I'm currently using an ioctl that acts as a mirror of the
/dev node. Normal fuse responses to lookup that add a backing file are
rejected unless they take the ioctl path.

-Daniel