Re: Are BPF programs preemptible?

Ok, thanks Jakub for the answer and references.
I must say that I am very surprised though. First, most of the
documentation for BPF says that preemption is disabled, like the
reference I gave [1] and even the bpf-helpers man page [2] says "Note
that all programs run with preemption disabled..." for the
bpf_get_smp_processor_id() helper. I think this is something that
deserves more attention since many eBPF developers are still under the
assumption that eBPF programs are non-preemptible, and running their
programs on newer kernels might be broken.

I'm trying to figure out how I can solve this issue in our case - is
it correct to assume that no more than one preemption can happen
during a run of my bpf program? If so, I can try to write a percpu
buffer with 2 entries, and give the second entry to the program that
interrupted the first one. But even then, I will need to find a way to
know if my program currently interrupts the run of another program -
is there a way to do that? Maybe checking if the current context is of
an interrupt, can this be done? Any other suggestions to solve this
problem?

[1]: https://docs.cilium.io/en/latest/bpf/toolchain
[2]: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/bpf-helpers.7.html

Thanks,
Yaniv

‫בתאריך יום ב׳, 23 בינו׳ 2023 ב-12:54 מאת ‪Jakub Sitnicki‬‏
<‪jakub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx‬‏>:‬