Re: Calling kfuncs in modules - BTF mismatch?

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 05:09:03PM -0800, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:

> Libbpf is doing just that. Or rather this just happens automatically.
> Libbpf finds the FUNC type corresponding to a kfunc, and then all the
> types of all the arguments are consistent with that FUNC definition.
>
> I think the problem is that test is getting `struct nf_conn` from
> bpf_xdp_ct_alloc() kfunc, which is defined in nf_conntrack module (and
> so specifies that it returns `struct nf_conn` coming from
> nf_conntrack's module BTF), while bpf_ct_set_nat_info() kfunc is
> defined in nf_nat module and specifies that it expects `struct
> nf_conn` defined in nf_nat's module BTF.
>
> And those two types are two completely different types, with different
> BTF object ID and BTF type ID, as far as all the BTF stuff is
> concerned.
>
> I don't know what the solution here is, but it's not on the libbpf
> side at all for sure. As Toke said, bringing BTF dedup into the kernel
> seems like an overkill. So some hacky "let's compare struct name and
> size" approach perhaps?

Wouldn't that be a bit too relaxed for a general case? I wonder how
often can this issue come up. If this is relatively rare maybe known
kfuncs that need this can be flagged with a new flag
(KF_RELAXED_ARG_CHECK or similar) to allow this shortcut?

--
Regards,
  Artem