xdp/bpf application getting unexpected ENOTSOCK

I am writing a bpf/xdp example which I hope to put in
xdp-project/bpf-examples when it is done. But I am finding that I get
an unexpected ENOTSOCK return code from a bpf_map_update_elem function
call. My test case is here
https://github.com/tjcw/bpf-examples/tree/tjcw-integration-0.3/AF_XDP-filter
; see its README.md for what it does.

I have a matching test case here
https://github.com/tjcw/xdp-tutorial/tree/master/ebpf-filter which
works normally.

The problem may be a diffent libbpf level; the AF_XDP_filter version
of the test case is running with libbpf set up by "git submodule
update --init", where the ebpf-filter version has libbpf set up by the
'bleeding edge' libbpf being checked out at ~tjcw/workspace. I will
try again with more careful version control.

The last few lines written by the test case are
libbpf: elf: skipping unrecognized data section(7) xdp_metadata
libbpf: elf: skipping unrecognized data section(7) xdp_metadata
xsk_socket__create_shared_named_prog returns 0
bpf_map_update_elem(9,0x7ffcaea02670,0x7ffcaea02674,0)
bpf_map_update_elem returns -88
ERROR: Cannot set up socket 0
ERROR: Can't setup AF_XDP sockets "Socket operation on non-socket"

the full log of the test case is available here
https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf/issues/630

Thanks for any light you can throw on the issue !

Chris Ward, IBM