Re: [RFC bpf-next 00/12] Use uapi kernel headers with vmlinux.h

On 28/10/2022 22:35, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 11:57 AM Yonghong Song <yhs@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Ok, could we change the problem to detecting if some type is defined.
>>> Would it be possible to have something like
>>>
>>> #if !__is_type_defined(struct abc)
>>> struct abc {
>>> };
>>> #endif
>>>
>>> I think we talked about this and there were problems with this
>>> approach, but I don't remember details and how insurmountable the
>>> problem is. Having a way to check whether some type is defined would
>>> be very useful even outside of -target bpf parlance, though, so maybe
>>> it's the problem worth attacking?
>>
>> Yes, we discussed this before. This will need to add additional work
>> in preprocessor. I just made a discussion topic in llvm discourse
>>
>> https://discourse.llvm.org/t/add-a-type-checking-macro-is-type-defined-type/66268
>>
>> Let us see whether we can get some upstream agreement or not.
>>

> Thanks for starting the conversation! I'll be following along.

I think this sort of approach assumes that vmlinux.h is included after
any uapi headers, and would guard type definitions with

#if type_is_defined(foo)
struct foo {

};
#endif

...is that right? My concern is that the vmlinux.h definitions have
the CO-RE attributes. From a BPF perspective, would we like the vmlinux.h
definitions to dominate over UAPI definitions do you think, or does it
matter?

I was wondering if there might be yet another way to crack this;
if we did want the vmlinux.h type definitions to be authoritative
because they have the preserve access index attribute, and because
bpftool knows all vmlinux types, it could use that info to selectively
redefine those type names such that we avoid name clashes when later
including UAPI headers. Something like

#ifdef __VMLINUX_H__
//usual vmlinux.h type definitions
#endif /* __VMLINUX_H__ */

#ifdef __VMLINUX_ALIAS__
if !defined(timespec64)
#define timespec64 __VMLINUX_ALIAS__timespec64
#endif
// rest of the types define aliases here
#undef __VMLINUX_ALIAS__
#else /* unalias */
#if defined(timespec64)
#undef timespec64
#endif
// rest of types undef aliases here
#endif /* __VMLINUX_ALIAS__ */

Then the consumer does this:

#define __VMLINUX_ALIAS__
#include "vmlinux.h"
// include uapi headers
#include "vmlinux.h"

(the latter include of vmlinux.h is needed to undef all the type aliases)

I tried hacking up bpftool to support this aliasing scheme and while
it is kind of hacky it does seem to work, aside from some issues with
IPPROTO_* definitions - for the enumerated IPPROTO_ values linux/in.h does
this:

enum {
  IPPROTO_IP = 0,               /* Dummy protocol for TCP               */
#define IPPROTO_IP              IPPROTO_IP
  IPPROTO_ICMP = 1,             /* Internet Control Message Protocol    */
#define IPPROTO_ICMP            IPPROTO_ICMP

...so our enum value definitions for IPPROTO_ values clash with the above
definitions. These could be individually ifdef-guarded if needed though I think.

I can send the proof-of-concept patch if it would help, I just wanted to
check in case that might be a workable path too, since it just requires
changes to bpftool (and changes to in.h).

Thanks!

Alan