Re: [RFC bpf-next 00/12] Use uapi kernel headers with vmlinux.h

On 25/10/2022 23:27, Eduard Zingerman wrote:
> Hi BPF community,
>
> AFAIK there is a long standing feature request to use kernel headers
> alongside `vmlinux.h` generated by `bpftool`. For example significant
> effort was put to add an attribute `bpf_dominating_decl` (see [1]) to
> clang, unfortunately this effort was stuck due to concerns regarding C
> language semantics.

Thanks for the details! It's a tricky problem to solve.

Before diving into this, can I ask if there's another way round this;
is there no way we could teach vmlinux.h generation which types to
skip via some kind of bootstrapping process?

For a bpf object foo.bpf.c that wants to include linux/tcp.h and
vmlinux.h, something like this seems possible;

1. run the preprocessor (gcc -E) over the BPF program to generate
a bootstrap header foo.bpf.exclude_types.h consisting of all the types mentioned
in it and associated includes, but not in vmlinux.h  It would need to -D__VMLINUX_H__
to avoid including vmlinux.h definitions and -D__BPF_EXCLUDE_TYPE_BOOTSTRAP__ to
skip the programs themselves, which would need a guard around them I think:

#include <stddef.h>
#include <stdbool.h>
#include <vmlinux.h>
#include <linux/tcp.h>

#ifndef __BPF_EXCLUDE_TYPE_BOOTSTRAP__
//rest of program here
#endif

So as a result of this, we now have a single header file that contains all the types
that non-vmlinux.h include files define.

2. now to generate vmlinux.h, pass foo.bpf.exclude_types.h into "bpftool btf dump" as an
exclude header:

bpftool btf dump --exclude /tmp/foo.bpf.types.h file /sys/kernel/btf/vmlinux format c > vmlinux.h

bpftool would have to parse the exclude header for actual type definitions, spotting struct,
enum and typedef definitions. This is likely made easier by running the preprocessor
at least since formatting is probably quite uniform. vmlinux.h could simply emit forward declarations
for types described both in vmlinux BTF and in the exclude file.

So the build process would be

- start with empty vmlinux.h
- bootstrap a header consisting of the set of types to exclude via c preprocessor
- generate new vmlinux.h based on above
- build bpf program

Build processes for BPF objects already has bootstrapping elements like
this for generating vmlinux.h and skeletons, so while it's not perfect it might
be a simpler approach. There may be problems with this I'm not seeing though?

Thanks!

Alan