RE: Rethink how to deal with division/modulo-on-zero (was Re: FW: ebpf-docs: draft of ISA doc updates in progress)

Shung-Hsi Yu <shung-hsi.yu@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> Just like how BPF verifier prevents a _possible_ out-of-bound memory access,
> e.g. arr[i] when `i` is not bound-checked. Ideally I'd expect a coherent
> approach toward division/modulo-on-zero as well; the verifier should prevent
> program that _might_ do division-on-zero from loading in the first place.
[...]
> Admittedly even if achievable, this is a radical approach that is not backward
> compatible. If such check is implemented, programs that used to load may
> now be rejected.

FWIW, the PREVAIL verifier attempted to do that, although it was incomplete until a patch I just submitted to it yesterday.  However, when running the patched version, it would reject some cilium, falco, suricata, etc. programs that it uses as test cases,
so my patch proposed making it optional in that verifier although maybe there's
some better alternative.

Certainly I think a runtime should implement the 0 check itself regardless of whether it's rejected or allowed by verification, but I wanted to share evidence that your "may now be rejected" is demonstrably true.

Dave