Re: FW: ebpf-docs: draft of ISA doc updates in progress

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 12:58 PM Dave Thaler <dthaler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > +   For ISA versions prior to 3, Clang v7.0 and later can enable
> > > +``BPF_ALU`` support with
> > > +   ``-Xclang -target-feature -Xclang +alu32``.
> >
> > I also suspect the clang notes would be better off in a separate document
> > from the main ISA.
>
> No one else raised concerns at LPC when I explicitly asked this, but I
> have no strong opinion either way other than whatever we do for Linux
> notes and for Clang notes, the answer should be the same.

It feels to me it would be better to document the latest ISA
instead of diverging into -mcpu=v1,v2,v3 differences.
So the standard would include all insns as of writing of the doc
including atomics.
Older compilers and compilers with certain flags may generate
a subset of full ISA, but that can be a footnote or 'clang notes'.
No one needs to read a history of how instructions were added
over the last 8 years. That bit is in git logs anyway.