Re: BPF Linked Lists discussion

On Fri, 19 Aug 2022 at 21:03, Alexei Starovoitov
<alexei.starovoitov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > I think we're thinking along similar lines with regards to the BTF tag, but I
> > > was thinking of tagging the value type instead of the container, something like:
> > >
> > > struct foo {
> > >     unsigned long data;
> > >     struct bpf_list_node node __protected_list_node;
> > > };
> > >
> > > 'protected' meaning verifier knows to prevent prog from touching the
> > > bpf_list_node. Currently my rbtree RFCv1 is just assuming that value type will
> > > have rb_node at offset 0. BTF tag would eliminate this offset requirement
> > > and allow value types to be part of multiple data structures:
> > >
> > > struct foo {
> > >     unsigned long data;
> > >     struct bpf_list_node node __protected_list_node;
> > >     struct bpf_rb_node rb_node __protected_rb_node;
> > > };
>
> I'm not sure what '__protected_rb_node' tag buys here.
> The verifier can infer the same from 'struct bpf_rb_node' type name.
>

> > > Not a hard requirement for me, but nice-to-have: support for heterogenous value
> > > types in same list / rbtree. Map def's __type(value, struct foo) wouldn't work
> > > in this case, I think your __value(struct, foo, node) would have same issue.
>
> I thought Kumar's proposal to do:
>   struct bpf_list_head head __value(struct, foo, node);
> was to tell the verifier how to do iterate link list with appropriate container_of().
>
> Same tagging is needed for:
>   struct bpf_rb_root tree __value(struct, foo, node)
> to tell bpf_rb_find(key, tree, cmp_cb) what btf_id to return
> and how to container_of() from rb_node to bpf program supplied struct to
> pass that btf_id pointer into cmb_cb.
>

> > > But I think this should be possible with BTF tags somehow. List
> > > helpers are ostensibly only touching the list_{head,node} - and similar for
> > > rbtree, and we're both planning on explicit in-prog typed allocation.
> > > If type can be propagated from alloc -> reg state -> helper input ->
> > > helper output, helpers could use reg BTF info w/ properly tagged field
> > > to manipulate the right field in the value struct.
> >
> > We can have multiple __value on a list_head and add some way to
> > disambiguate what the type will be on list_remove. The problem is not
> > during list_add, as you know the type of the node being added. It is
> > when you list_remove, is when you need to be able to disambiguate the
> > type so that we set the reg as correct btf, btf_id and then set the
> > right reg->off (so that container_of can give the entry). Until the
> > disambiguation step is done, it is unknown what the type might be.
>
> list_remove and list iterate/find need that btf_id.
>
> > When thinking of heterogeneous values, we should probably look to add
> > a way to do generic variant types in BPF, such that e.g. the first
> > field is a tag, and then the actual data of that type follows. This
> > would allow us to use them not only in intrusive collections, but
> > anywhere else, and probably even store them in map values as kptrs.
>
> Not following this idea. Could you give an example?

Basically a tagged union in C.

For list_head to take value A, B, C, we define a struct type that has
a enum type field that tells the type, some common fields that can be
assumed at the same offset in all types sharing, and then the various
remaining members in a union that may differ.

Basically, how we do variable type structs in the kernel with a common
initial sequence in structs (e.g. sock_common), but with an added type
field to be able to implement safe casting at runtime. list_remove
then sets btf_id to variant, and it needs to be casted before
non-common sequence can be used.

> [...]
> > > container what named field to manipulate. If value struct were to be part of
> > > two lists this would make it possible to disambiguate.
> > >
> > > When we discussed this Alexei mentioned existing pointer casting helper pattern
> > > (e.g. 'bpf_skc_to_tcp_sock') as potentially being helpful here.
> > >

> > Indeed, but I think you need some bit of info at runtime to be able to do this.

> > > I don't fully understand "shared ownership" from 2) and don't have a use case
> >
> > Shared ownership is explained further later in section 5.
> >
> > > for complex constructors in 3), but broadly agree with everything else. Will
> > > do another pass.

> > > I agree, keeping track of owner seems necessary. Seems harder to verify
> > > statically than lock as well. Alexei mentioned today that combination
> > > "grab lock and take ownership" helper for dynamic check might make
> > > sense.
> > >
> > > Tangentially, I've been poking at ergonomics of
> > > libbpf lock definition this week and think I have something reasonable:
> > >
> > > struct node_data {
> > >         struct rb_node node;
> > >         __u32 one;
> > >         __u32 two;
> > > };
> > >
> > > struct l {
> > >         __uint(type, BPF_MAP_TYPE_ARRAY);
> > >         __type(key, u32);
> > >         __type(value, struct bpf_spin_lock);
> > >         __uint(max_entries, 1);
> > > } lock_arr SEC(".maps");
> > >
> > > struct {
> > >         __uint(type, BPF_MAP_TYPE_RBTREE);
> > >         __type(value, struct node_data);
> > >         __array(lock, struct l);
> > > } rbtree1 SEC(".maps") = {
> > >         .lock = {
> > >                 [0] = &lock_arr,
> > >         },
> > > };
> > >
> > > struct {
> > >         __uint(type, BPF_MAP_TYPE_RBTREE);
> > >         __type(value, struct node_data);
> > >         __array(lock, struct l);
> > > } rbtree2 SEC(".maps") = {
> > >         .lock = {
> > >                 [0] = &lock_arr,
> > >         },
> > > };
> > >
> > > ... in BPF prog
> > >
> > >   bpf_spin_lock(&lock_arr[0]);
> > >
> > >   // Can safely operate on either tree, move nodes between them, etc.
> > >
> > >   bpf_spin_unlock(&lock_arr[0]);
> > >

> > > Notes:
> > >   * Verifier knows which lock is supposed to be used at map creation time
> > >     * Can reuse bpf_verifier_state's 'active_spin_lock' member, so no addt'l
> > >       bookkeeping needed to verify that rbtree_add or similar is happening
> > >       in critical section
> >
> > Yes, this is similar to my approach, except what I'm doing is (suppose
> > we fix the bpf_spin_lock in mmap-able map value problem):
>
> We can teach libbpf to support more than 3 hard coded global maps
> (bss, rodata, data). So any named section will go into its own array with max_entries=1
> that won't be mmap-able and will allow to host bpf_rb_root, bpf_spin_lock, etc.

Yep, this should work.

> [...]
> > is preserved after loaded kptr is NULL checked, but it is unique for
> > each load of the kptr. You lock spin_lock in the kptr, you then add to
> > list, the list_add verifier check goes and sees whether the current
> > lock held and the current list_head come from the same reg->id (you
> > know the reg of list_head, right? So you know the id as well, and you
> > match that to cur->active_spin_lock_id). If so, it is the correct
> > lock, we locked the lock in the same loaded kptr as the one whose
> > list_head we are list_add-ing to.
> >
> > For global variables, the check needs more work. In the normal map
> > lookup case, we assign fresh reg->id whenever you do a map lookup, so
> > in case of array map spin lock for the same key will set different id
> > in cur->active_spin_lock_id for two different map values from two
> > different lookups. This is because we don't know if it is the same map
> > value on second lookup, so both locks in different map value are
> > considered different locks. The id is the unique lock id, essentially.
> >
> > Since global variables are in direct_value_addr map with 1 max_entry,
> > we don't need to assign fresh reg->id and each pseudo ldimm64 insn. We
> > can instead teach it to either track it using id (for the case of
> > normal map lookups and local kptr), or map_ptr to accomodate global
> > variables non-unique ids. At once, only one of two is set, the other
> > is zero.
> >
> > Then everything falls in place. We always match both map_ptr and id.
> > For global data and map lookups, the map_ptr is matched, id will be 0
> > for global data, non zero for normal map lookups. There is only one
> > map value so the lock protects everything in it. For the other case I
> > described above, map_ptr is NULL but id will be different if not from
> > the same 'lookup' in case of local kptr (PTR_TO_BTF_ID).
> >
> > We also have map_uid, which is assigned to map_ptr of inner map
> > lookups. But remember that we are talking of map values above, so even
> > if for lookups from two differ inner maps of same map, we get two map
> > values whose map_ptr is technically same (even if the map_uid was
> > different), their reg->id _will_ be different, so the above checks are
> > sufficient to disambiguate spin locks for all kinds of cases.
> >
> > Keeping lock and data in the same allocation thus allows you to
> > associate locks statically even for dynamic allocations, enabling the
> > map-in-map use case.
>
> All that makes sense, but consider use case where we need rb_root for every cgroup.
> The 'struct bpf_rb_root' will be created dynamically in cgroup local storage.
> We can create a lock in the same cgroup local storage as well.
> It's all nice and the verifier can do locking checks statically,
> but how the program can trasnfer and rb_node from one rb tree to another
> in a different cgroup?
> Either two locks need to be held and I don't see a way to check that
> statically or one bpf_spin_lock should be used across all cgroups.

Thanks for the concrete example, much easier to reason about this :).
Here's my thought dump, comments welcome.

So it depends on your use case and the type of node (single ownership
vs shared ownership).

Do you want an atomic move or not?
If yes, for the single ownership case, the following works.

lock lock1
remove_rb_node
unlock lock1
lock lock2
add_rb_node
unlock lock2

Due to single ownership, nobody can write (reads may be safe e.g.
using RCU) to the removed rb_node between the two critical sections.
Both locks can be checked statically for their rb_root. For shared
ownership, the above won't be atomic (as someone else with ref to the
node may be able to steal it while we unlock lock1 to lock lock2.

So the main question is, can we allow holding two locks at the same
time safely, we only need it to do atomic moves for the shared
ownership case. Then the problem becomes a deadlock avoidance problem.

The first pass solution might be to make first lock a proper spin_lock
call, but second attempt a spin_trylock. If it succeeds, you can do
the operation, but if it fails, it may be due to ABBA deadlock, or
just contention.

However, this is not good, because under contention we'll see a lot of
failed operations. The next best thing we can do is define a lock
order, to do it generically, we can impose a simple rule for all BPF
programs:
Whenever two bpf_spin_locks are taken, they are always taken in the
order of the pointer address of the lock. I.e. you must lock l1 before
l2 if &l1 < &l2, and l2 before l1 if &l2 < &l1.
Then it becomes a problem of enforcing the correct order in the right branch.

One catch is that both locks may have the same address, in that case,
we can use spin_lock_nested with SINGLE_DEPTH_NESTING to allow taking
the same lock twice (or the user can have an else case).

This ensures that as long as we have two levels of locking supported
in the verifier, there is never an ABBA deadlock condition across all
BPF programs on the system.

----

Anyway, this is one approach, which I really like, but I understand
there might be cases in the future where you need to share locks
dynamically between structures. For this, I am thinking that we can
use the same idea we used in bpf_list_owns_node, but make it
convenient. It is a copy paste of Alexei's refcounted locks idea, but
with a few small tweaks.

For this case, you will have:

struct foo {
  struct bpf_spin_lock *lock;
  ...;
};

When you construct such kptr, the verifier enforces you "move" a
reference to an allocated lock (with a refcount to share it among
multiple structures), and it disallows mutation of this field until
you enter the single ownership phase of the object (i.e. refcount == 1
for refcounted ones, or just having ownership of pointer for
non-refcounted objects). For RCU protected ones, we might have to also
enforce the RCU grace period. But the thing is, mutation should only
be permitted once we know no other CPU can take the lock.

Then, whenever you know two nodes share the same lock, you upgrade the
unlocked structure using the following pattern to mark it as locked in
the true branch by the currently held spinlock.

p1 = foo();
p2 = foo();
lock(p1->lock_ptr);
if (p1->lock_ptr == p2->lock_ptr) // cannot change while we can observe p2 {
    // Both are locked, do operations protecting structs in both, like
atomic moves
}
unlock(p1->lock_ptr);