Re: [RFC bpf-next] Hierarchical Cgroup Stats Collection Using BPF

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Yonghong Song <yhs@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/16/22 9:35 AM, Yosry Ahmed wrote:
> > Hi Tejun,
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to read my proposal! Sorry for the late
> > reply. This email skipped my inbox for some reason.
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 10:35 PM Tejun Heo <tj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Not that it matters all that much but I don't think the above statement is
> >> true given that sched stats are an integrated part of the rstat
> >> implementation and io was converted before memcg.
> >>

> > Excuse my ignorance, I am new to kernel development. I only saw calls
> > to cgroup_rstat_updated() in memcg and io and assumed they were the
> > only users. Now I found cpu_account_cputime() :)

> >> I'd just keep them together. Usually most activities tend to happen
> >> together, so it's cheaper to aggregate all of them in one go in most cases.
> >
> > This makes sense to me, thanks.

> >> I'm more partial to the last option. It does make the usage a bit more
> >> compilcated but hopefully it shouldn't be too bad with good examples.
> >>
> >> I don't have strong opinions on the bpf side of things but it'd be great to
> >> be able to use rstat from bpf.
> >
> > It indeed gives more flexibility but is more complicated. Also, I am
> > not sure about the overhead to make calls to BPF programs in every
> > aggregation step. Looking forward to get feedback on the bpf side of
> > things.
>
> Hi, Yosry, I heard this was discussed in bpf office hour which I
> didn't attend. Could you summarize the conclusion and what is the
> step forward? We also have an internal tool which collects cgroup
> stats and this might help us as well. Thanks!
>

> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> tejun

Hi Yonghong,

Hao has already done an excellent job summarizing the outcome of the meeting.

The idea I have is basically to introduce "rstat flushing" BPF
programs. BPF programs that collect and display stats would use
helpers to call cgroup_rstat_flush() and cgroup_rstat_updated() (or
similar). rstat would then make calls to the "rstat flushing" BPF
programs during flushes, similar to calls to css_rstat_flush().

I will work on an RFC patch(es) for this soon. Let me know if you have
any comments/suggestions/feedback.

Thanks!