Re: [RFC] A couple of issues on BPF callstack

On 3/4/22 3:28 PM, Namhyung Kim wrote:
Hello,

While I'm working on lock contention tracepoints [1] for a future BPF
use, I found some issues on the stack trace in BPF programs.  Maybe
there are things that I missed but I'd like to share my thoughts for
your feedback.  So please correct me if I'm wrong.

The first thing I found is how it handles skipped frames in the
bpf_get_stack{,id}.  Initially I wanted a short stack trace like 4
depth to identify callers quickly, but it turned out that 4 is not
enough and it's all filled with the BPF code itself.

So I set to skip 4 frames but it always returns an error (-EFAULT).
After some time I figured out that BPF doesn't allow to set skip
frames greater than or equal to buffer size.  This seems strange and
looks like a bug.  Then I found a bug report (and a partial fix) [2]
and work on a full fix now.

Thanks for volunteering. Looking forward to the patch.

But it revealed another problem with BPF programs on perf_event which
use a variant of stack trace functions.  The difference is that it
needs to use a callchain in the perf sample data.  The perf callchain
is saved from the begining while BPF callchain is saved at the last to
limit the stack depth by the buffer size.  But I can handle that.

More important thing to me is the content of the (perf) callchain.  If
the event has __PERF_SAMPLE_CALLCHAIN_EARLY, it will have context info
like PERF_CONTEXT_KERNEL.  So user might or might not see it depending
on whether the perf_event set with precise_ip and SAMPLE_CALLCHAIN.
This doesn't look good.

Patch 7b04d6d60fcf ("bpf: Separate bpf_get_[stack|stackid] for
perf events BPF") tried to fix __PERF_SAMPLE_CALLCHAIN_EARLY issue
for bpf_get_stack[id]() helpers.
The helpers will check whether event->attr.sample_type has
__PERF_SAMPLE_CALLCHAIN_EARLY encoded or not, based on which
the stacks will be retrieved accordingly.
Did you any issue here?

After all, I think it'd be really great if we can skip those
uninteresting info easily.  Maybe we could add a flag to skip BPF code

We cannot just skip those callchains with __PERF_SAMPLE_CALLCHAIN_EARLY.
There are real use cases for it.

perf context, and even some scheduler code from the trace respectively
like in stack_trace_consume_entry_nosched().

A flag for the bpf_get_stack[id]() helpers? It is possible. It would be
great if you can detail your use case here and how a flag could help
you.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Namhyung