Re: [RFC bpf-next 0/3] bpf: Introduce module helper functions

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 07:39:53PM +0000, Usama Arif wrote:
> This patchset is a working prototype that adds support for calling helper
> functions in eBPF applications that have been defined in a kernel module.
>
> It would require further work including code refractoring (not included in
> the patchset) to rename functions, data structures and variables that are
> used for kfunc as well to be appropriately renamed for module helper usage.
> If the idea of module helper functions and the approach used in this patchset
> is acceptable to the bpf community, I can send a follow up patchset with the
> code refractoring included to make it ready for review.
>
> Module helpers are useful as:
> - They support more argument and return types when compared to module
> kfunc.

What exactly is missing?

> - This adds a way to have helper functions that would be too specialized
> for a specific usecase to merge upstream, but are functions that can have
> a constant API and can be maintained in-kernel modules.

Could you give an example of something that would be "too specialized" that
it's worth maintaining in a module, but not worth maintaining in the kernel?

Also see:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/bpf/bpf_design_QA.html#q-new-functionality-via-kernel-modules

Why do you think we made that rule years ago?