Re: libxsk move from libbpf to libxdp

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 7:49 PM Andrii Nakryiko
<andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> It's been a while since we chatted about libxsk move. I believe last
> time we were already almost ready to recommend libxdp for this, but
> I'd like to double-check. Can one of you please own [0], validate that
> whatever APIs are provided by libxdp are equivalent to what libbpf
> provides, and start marking xdk.h APIs as deprecated? Thanks!

Resending since Gmail had jumped out of plain text mode again.

No problem, I will own this. I will verify the APIs are the same then
submit a patch marking the ones in libbpf's xsk.h as deprecated.

One question is what to do with the samples and the selftests for xsk.
They currently rely on libbpf's xsk support. Two options that I see:

1: Require libxdp on the system. Do not try to compile the xsk samples
and selftests if libxdp is not available so the rest of the bpf
samples and selftests are not impacted.
2: Provide a standalone mock-up file of xsk.c and xsk.h that samples
and selftests could use.

I prefer #1 as it is better for the long-term. #2 means I would have
to maintain that mock-up file as libxdp features are added. Sounds
like double the amount of work to me. Thoughts?

/Magnus