Re: [RFCv3 00/19] x86/ftrace/bpf: Add batch support for direct/tracing attach

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 01:26:46PM -0700, Andrii Nakryiko wrote:

SNIP

> > > hum, you could do link_update with fexit program on the link fd,
> > > like in the selftest, right?
> >
> > Hm... I didn't realize we can attach two different prog FDs to the
> > same link, honestly (and was too lazy to look through selftests
> > again). I can try that later. But it's actually quite a
> > counter-intuitive API (I honestly assumed that link_update can be used
> > to add more BTF IDs, but not change prog_fd). Previously bpf_link was
> > always associated with single BPF prog FD. It would be good to keep
> > that property in the final version, but we can get back to that later.
>
> Ok, I'm back from PTO and as a warm-up did a two-line change to make
> retsnoop work end-to-end using this bpf_link_update() approach. See
> [0]. I still think it's a completely confusing API to do
> bpf_link_update() to have both fexit and fentry, but it worked for
> this experiment.

we need the same set of functions, and we have 'fd' representing
that ;-) but that could hopefully go away with the new approach

> BTW, adding ~900 fexit attachments is barely noticeable, which is
> great, means that attachment is instantaneous.

right I see similar not noticable time in bpftrace as well
thanks for testing that,

jirka

> real    0m2.739s
> user    0m0.351s