Re: [Patch bpf] selftests/bpf: Retry for EAGAIN in udp_redir_to_connected()

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 10:44 PM CEST, Cong Wang wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 1:14 PM Andrii Nakryiko
> <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Bugs do happen though, so if you can detect some error condition
>> instead of having an infinite loop, then do it.
>
> You both are underestimating the problem. There are two different things
> to consider here:
>
> 1) Kernel bugs: This is known unknown, we certainly do not know
> how many bugs we have, otherwise they would have been fixed
> already. So we can not predict the consequence of the bug either,
> assuming a bug could only cause packet drop is underestimated.
>
> 2) Configurations: For instance, firewall rules. If the selftests are run
> in a weird firewall setup which drops all UDP packets, there is nothing
> we can do in the test itself. If we have to detect this, then we would
> have to detect netem cases too where packets can be held indefinitely
> or reordered arbitrarily. The possibilities here are too many to detect,
> hence I argue the selftests should setup its own non-hostile environment,
> which has nothing to do with any specific program.
>
> This is why I ask you to draw a boundary: what we can assume and
> what we can't. My boundary is obviously clear: we just assume the
> environment is non-hostile and we can't predict any kernel bugs,
> nor their consequences.
>
> Thanks.

(Sorry for the delay in reviews. I've been out.)

In my mind uAPI tests should not be tailored to the underlying
implementation (non-blocking read after write over loopback succeeds for
TCP), or the environment they run in (packets don't get dropped due to
OOM, signals don't interrupt syscalls).

If it's a non-blocking socket, then EAGAIN can happen. That's the
contract between the kernel and the user-space.

There is already a helper in this test case for polling and reading with
a timeout (see recv_timeout()). IMO we should be using it in all tests
that use non-blocking I/O.

If it's not being used already, that is most likely my fault.