Re: XDP-hints: Howto support multiple BTF types per packet basis?

John Fastabend <john.fastabend@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

>> > Right and then you just have normal upgrade/downgrade problems with
>> > any struct.
>> >
>> > Seems like a workable path to me. But, need to circle back to the
>> > what we want to do with it part that Jesper replied to.
>>
>> So while this seems to be a viable path for getting libbpf to do all the
>> relocations (and thanks for hashing that out, I did not have a good grip
>> of the details), doing it all in userspace means that there is no way
>> for the XDP program to react to changes once it has been loaded. So this
>> leaves us with a selection of non-very-attractive options, IMO. I.e.,
>> we would have to:
>
> I don't really understand what this means 'having XDP program to
> react to changes once it has been loaded.' What would a program look
> like thats dynamic? You can always version your metadata and
> write programs like this,
>
>   if (meta->version == VERSION1) {do_foo}
>   else {do_bar}
>
> And then have a headeer,
>
>    struct meta {
>      int version;
>      union ...    // union of versions
>    }
>
> I fail to see how a program could 'react' dynamically. An agent could
> load new programs dynamically into tail call maps of fentry with
> the need handlers, which would work as well and avoid unions.

By "react" I meant "not break", as in the program should still be able
to parse the metadata even if config changes. See below:

>> - have to block any modifications to the hardware config that would
>>   change the metadata format; this will probably result in irate users
>
> I'll need a concrete example if I swap out my parser block, I should
> also swap out my BPF for my shiny new protocol. I don't see how a
> user might write programs for things they've not configured hardware
> for yet. Leaving aside knobs like VLAN on/off, VXLAN on/off, and
> such which brings the next point.
>

>> - require XDP programs to deal with all possible metadata permutations
>>   supported by that driver (by exporting them all via a BTF union or
>>   similar); this means a potential for combinatorial explosion of config
>>   options and as NICs become programmable themselves I'm not even sure
>>   if it's possible for the driver to know ahead of time
>
> I don't see the problem sorry. For current things that exist I can't
> think up too many fields vlan, timestamp, checksum(?), pkt_type,
> hash maybe.

Even with five fields (assuming they can be individually toggled),
that's 32 different metadata formats. Add two more and we're at 128.
That's what I meant with "combinatorial explosion" (although I suppose
it's only exponential, not combinatorial if we fix the order of the
fields). I suppose it may be that you're right and that in practice the
number of fields is small enough that it's manageable, but right off the
bat it seems like a pretty limiting design to me.

> For programmable pipelines (P4) then I don't see a problem with
> reloading your program or swapping out a program. I don't see the
> value of adding a new protocol for example dynamically. Surely the
> hardware is going to get hit with a big reset anyways.

Hmm, okay, I do buy that completely reprogramming the NIC is probably
not something that is done as dynamically as toggling existing feature
bits, so maybe that is not such a huge concern...

>> - throw up our hands and just let the user deal with it (i.e., to
>>   nothing and so require XDP programs to be reloaded if the NIC config
>>   changes); this is not very friendly and is likely to lead to subtle
>>   bugs if an XDP program parses the metadata assuming it is in a
>>   different format than it is
>
> I'm not opposed to user error causing logic bugs.  If I give
> users power to reprogram their NICs they should be capabable
> of managing a few BPF programs. And if not then its a space
> where a distro/vendor should help them with tooling.
>

>> Given that hardware config changes are not just done by ethtool, but
>> also by things like running `tcpdump -j`, I really think we have to
>> assume that they can be quite dynamic; which IMO means we have to solve
>> this as part of the initial design. And I have a hard time seeing how
>> this is possible without involving the kernel somehow.
>
> I guess here your talking about building an skb? Wouldn't it
> use whatever logic it uses today to include the timestamp.
> This is a bit of an aside from metadata in the BPF program.

Building skbs is a separate concern, yeah, but that was not actually
what I meant here. Say I install an XDP program that reads metadata
like (after CO-RE rewriting):

struct meta {
  u32 rxhash;
  u8 vlan;
};

and that is merrily running and doing its thing, but then someone runs
`tcpdump -j`, causing the NIC to turn on hardware timestamping, thus
changing the effective metadata layout to:

struct meta {
  u32 rxhash;
  u32 timestamp;
  u8 vlan;
};

suddenly my XDP program will be reading garbage without knowing it, even
though it's not interested in the timestamp at all.

>> Unless I'm missing something? WDYT?
>
> Distilling above down. I think we disagree on how useful
> dynamic programs are because of two reasons. First I don't
> see a large list of common attributes that would make the
> union approach as painful as you fear.

See above; but I wouldn't actually mind being proven wrong here, I'm
just worried that we end up setting something in stone ABI-wise so we
can't change it later should there end up being a need for it.

> And two, I believe users who are touching core hardware firmware need
> to also be smart enough (or have smart tools) to swap out their BPF
> programs in the correct order so as to not create subtle races. I
> didn't do it here but if we agree walking through that program swap
> flow with firmware update would be useful.

Sure, I do think this would be useful; I only have a very fuzzy idea how
this is likely to work. But I think we may also differ in the assumption
of who controls the XDP programs: I very much view it as in scope for a
system to be able to run different XDP programs from different
applications without any other point of coordination than what the
kernel and libbpf/libxdp APIs offer. So if application A needs to
reprogram the hardware, how does application B's XDP program get
re-loaded so it can get its CO-RE relocations re-applied with the new
BTF format?

-Toke