Re: XDP-hints: Howto support multiple BTF types per packet basis?

On Wed, 26 May 2021 15:39:17 -0700
Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 1:20 PM Jesper Dangaard Brouer
> <brouer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 26 May 2021 12:12:09 -0700
> > Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I'm trying to follow all three threads, but still, can someone dumb it
> > > down for me and use few very specific examples to show how all this is
> > > supposed to work end-to-end. I.e., how the C definition for those
> > > custom BTF layouts might look like and how they are used in BPF
> > > programs, etc. I'm struggling to put all the pieces together, even
> > > ignoring all the netdev-specific configuration questions.
> >
> > I admit that this thread is pushing the boundaries and "ask" too much.
> > I think we need some steps in-between to get the ball rolling first.  I
> > myself need to learn more of what is possible today with BTF, before I
> > ask for more features and multiple simultaneous BTF IDs.
> >
> > I will go read Andrii's excellent docs [1]+[2] *again*, and perhaps[3].
> > Do you recommend other BTF docs?
>
> BTF in itself, at least as related to type definitions, is a super
> lightweight and straightforward DWARF replacement. I'd recommend to
> just play around with building a simple BPF code with various types
> defined (use `clang -target bpf -g`) and then dump BTF info in both
> raw format (just `bpftool btf dump file <path>` and in C format
> (`bpftool btf dump file <path> format c`). That should be plenty to
> get the feel for BTF.

I've played with this and I think I get this part now :-)

> As for how libbpf and BPF CO-RE use BTF, I guess the below blog post
> is a good start, I'm not sure we have another dedicated post
> describing how CO-RE relocations work.
>

> >  [1] https://facebookmicrosites.github.io/bpf/blog/2020/02/19/bpf-portability-and-co-re.html
> >  [2] https://nakryiko.com/posts/bpf-portability-and-co-re/
>
> Choose [2], it's slightly more updated, but otherwise is the same as [1].
>
> >  [3] https://facebookmicrosites.github.io/bpf/blog/2018/11/14/btf-enhancement.html
>
> It's up to you, but I wouldn't bother reading the BTF dedup
> description in order to understand BTF in general :)

Yes, I think I'll skip that dedup part ;-)

> > > As for BTF on a per-packet basis. This means that BTF itself is not
> > > known at the BPF program verification time, so there will be some sort
> > > of if/else if/else conditions to handle all recognized BTF IDs? Is
> > > that right?
> >
> > I do want libbpf CO-RE and BPF program verification to work.  I'm
> > asking for a BPF-program that can supply multiple BTF struct layouts
> > and get all of them CO-RE offset adjusted.
> >
> > The XDP/BPF-prog itself have if/else conditions on BPF-IDs to handle
> > all the BPF IDs it knows.  When loading the BPF-prog the offset
> > relocation are done for the code (as usual I presume).
>
> Ok, so assuming kernel/driver somehow defines these two C structs:
>
> struct xdp_meta_1 { int x; char y[32]; } __attribute__((preserve_access_index));
>
> struct xdp_meta_2 { void *z; int q[4]; } __attribute__((preserve_access_index));
>
> on BPF program side, you should be able to do something like this:
>
> int xdp_btf_id = xdp_ctx->btf_id;
> void *xdp_meta = xdp_ctx->meta;
>
> if (xdp_btf_id == bpf_core_type_id_kernel(struct xdp_meta_1)) {
>     struct xdp_meta_1 *m = xdp_meta;
>
>     return m->x + m->y[7] * 3;
> } else if (xdp_btf_id == bpf_core_type_id_kernel(struct xdp_meta_2)) {
>     struct xdp_meta_2 *m = xdp_meta;
>
>     return m->z - m->q[2];
> } else {
>     /* we don't know what metadata layout we are working with */
>     return XDP_DROP;
> }

Yes, I think this is the gist of what I was thinking.

Cool that we have a bpf_core_type_id_kernel() macro (if others want to
follow in tools/lib/bpf/bpf_core_read.h).  That looks VERY helpful for
what I'm looking for.

 /*
  * Convenience macro to get BTF type ID of a target kernel's type that matches
  * specified local type.
  * Returns:
  *    - valid 32-bit unsigned type ID in kernel BTF;
  *    - 0, if no matching type was found in a target kernel BTF.
  */
 #define bpf_core_type_id_kernel(type)					    \
 	__builtin_btf_type_id(*(typeof(type) *)0, BPF_TYPE_ID_TARGET)

At what point in "time" is this bpf_core_type_id_kernel() resolved?

> What I'm struggling a bit is how xdp_meta_1 and xdp_meta_2 come to be,
> how they get to users building BPF application, etc. For example, if
> those xdp_meta_x structs are dumped on the target kernel and the
> program is compiled right there, you don't really need CO-RE because
> you know exact layout and you are compiling on the fly BCC-style.
>
> I guess one way to allow pre-compilation and still let hardware define
> the actual memory layout would be to have a pre-defined struct
> xdp_meta___mega for BPF program, something like:
>
> struct xdp_meta___mega { int x; char y[32]; void *z; int q[4]; }
> __attribute__((preserve_access_index));
>
> I.e., it defines all potentially possible fields. But then driver
> knows that only, say, x and q are actually present, so in kernel we
> have
>
> struct xdp_meta { int q[4]; int x; }
>
> With that, libbpf will match local xdp_meta___mega (___suffix is
> ignored) to actual kernel definition, x and q offsets will be
> relocated. If BPF program is trying to access y or z, though, it will
> result in an error.

Wow, this is also a cool trick that I didn't know we could do.
Having a 'xdp_meta_generic_common___mega' could be very useful.

> CO-RE also allows to check the presence of y and z
> and deal with that, so you have flexibility to do "feature detection"
> right in BPF code:
>
> if (bpf_core_field_exists(m->z)) {
>     return m->z;
> } else {
>     /* deal with lack of m->z */
> }

The bpf_core_field_exists() also look like an interesting and useful
feature.  I assume this bpf_core_field_exists() happens at libbpf
load-time, or even at BPF-syscall load-time. Right?

> Hopefully that gives a bit clearer picture of what CO-RE is about. I
> guess I can also suggest reading [0] for a few more uses of CO-RE,
> just for general understanding.

Thanks a lot for educating me :-)

>   [0] https://nakryiko.com/posts/bpf-tips-printk/
>

> > Maybe it is worth pointing out, that the reason for requiring the
> > BPF-prog to check the BPF-ID match, is to solve the netdev HW feature
> > update problem.  I'm basically evil and say we can update the netdev HW
> > features anytime, because it is the BPF programmers responsibility to
> > check if BTF info changed (after prog was loaded). (The BPF programmer
> > can solve this via requesting all the possible BTF IDs the driver can
> > change between, or choose she is only interested in a single variant).
>
> Ok, see above, if you know all possible BTF IDs ahead of time, then
> yes, you can do this. You'll pay the price of doing a bunch of if/else
> for BTF ID comparison, of course, but not the price of accessing those
> fields.

It sounds great that this is basically already possible today.

I'm willing to pay the if/else for BTF ID comparison cost, only because
it solves the problem of allowing the kernel/driver to change the
BTF-layout for the XDP metadata area dynamically, AFTER the BPF-prog
have been loaded (and after all the nice libbpf relocations).

> > By this, I'm trying to avoid loading an XDP-prog locks down what
> > hardware features can be enabled/disabled.  It would be sad running
> > tcpdump (-j adapter_unsynced) that request for HW RX-timestamp is
> > blocked due to XDP being loaded.

I think we need to included this as part of our XDP-hints design.  Yes,
there is an annoying overhead in the XDP-prog to check bpf_id's, but it
will be even more annoying/user-unfriendly to lock-down any hardware
changed when an XDP-prog is loaded.

If sysadm knows that nobody will ever run those commands that change
hardware state and affect XDP-metadata layout, then end-user can remove
this bpf_id check from their BPF-prog and get back the performance.

> > > Fake but specific code would help (at least me) to actually join the
> > > discussion. Thanks.
> >
> > I agree, I actually want to code-up a simple example that use BTF CO-RE
> > and then try to follow the libbpf code that adjust the offsets.  I
> > admit I need to understand BTF better myself, before I ask for
> > new/advanced features ;-)
> >
> > Thanks Andrii for giving us feedback, I do need to learn more about BTF
> > myself to join the discussion myself.
>
> You are welcome. I left a few breadcrumbs above, I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for all the breadcrumbs, really appreciate it!
... I'm trying to follow them, and the rabbit hole is deep :-)

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer