Re: AF_XDP metadata/hints

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 8:57 AM Alexander Lobakin
<alexandr.lobakin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Well likely libbpf would do the rewrite I think.
>
> So your proposal is to not compose metadata according to the prog's
> request, but rather reprogram the prog itself to access metadata
> accordingly? Sounds very nice.
>
> If follow this path, is it something like this?
>
> 1. Driver exposes the fields layout (e.g. Rx/Tx descriptor fields)
> via BTF to the BPF layer.
> 2. When an XDP prog is attached, BPF reprograms it to look for the
> required fields at the right offset.

The driver doesn't need to expose it directly via ndo.
There is already generic support for BTF in modules
and support for encoding btf_id for further use inside verifier
and other components.
I think the driver can simply do:
BTF_ID_LIST(known_packet_fields)
and the bpf core will pick it from there.
While libbpf will do a CO-RE style re-write when driver layout changes.
Ideally bpf core doesn't need to be involved and it's done completely in libbpf.