Re: XDP-hints: Storing some bits in XDP metadata and others in xdp_frame/xdp-buff (was: Checksum for xdp_frame)

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 10:29 AM Jesper Dangaard Brouer
<brouer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (Cc. upstream bpf-list as Magnus brought up a good question and
> important AF_XDP view-point)
>
> On Tue, 25 May 2021 12:40:03 +0000
> "Karlsson, Magnus" <magnus.karlsson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Agree with that. There should be a small set of standard items that
all vendors have in their NICs such as in your examples above. I might
argue that timestamp and a "least common denominator" RSS hash would
also qualify to this list of standard items. (If available, a larger
RSS hash could be accessed using the NIC specific features below.)
Regardless of the list, it makes sense to have a flags field in the
AF_XDP Rx descriptor and in the xdp_buff that quickly can be tested
for anomalies and values that are present in the XDP metadata. If this
flags field is 0, everything is fine and there is no data for this
packet in the XDP metadata section, so no need to check and lose
performance. If the field is non-zero, then we need to act. For
ip_checksummed it means that something is wrong with the checksum but
no need to check XDP metadata for that (unless we want to save one bit
and not use 2 in the flags field). For a timestamp, it means that a
timestamp is present for this packet and I would need to fetch it in
the metadata section. And so on. So I am all for a flags field (max
32-bits please so it can be put in the currently unused options field
of the AF_XDP Rx descriptor) that can be quickly tested to improve
performance.

I think it is really important that all the metadata items are
optional, that they are all off unless explicitly and individually
turned on. These items are not for free. It costs to check and fetch
them from the HW, to populate the flags field and if needed the XDP
metadata field. It might even cost to have them turned on in the HW.
If I do not need ip_checksummed, multi-buffer, timestamp, or whatever,
I should not have to pay for it. Assuming everything will be turned on
(or just one big on/off switch) is not scalable. We do not want to end
up with a "mini skb" where everything must be populated. Keep XDP fast
;-)!