Re: bpf helper functions from kernel module

Kenny Ho <y2kenny@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> From https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2019/04/15/an-ebpf-overview-part-2-machine-and-bytecode/
> "The BPF-accesible kernel "helper" functions are defined by the kernel
> core (not extensible through modules) via an API similar to defining
> syscalls"
>
> Has there been interest/discussion around having helper functions from
> kernel modules?  Going through the code, I am guessing one of the
> obstacles is to have the verifier checking against helper functions
> that may or may not be available but I am not an expert of the
> subsystem.  What are the current opinions on having helper functions
> from kernel modules?

The support for calling kernel functions directly (AKA "unstable
helpers") will likely be the way this will be achievable. See the
comment in brackets half-way down in the description here:

https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20210325015142.1544736-1-kafai@xxxxxx/

-Toke