Re: [BPF CO-RE clarification] Use CO-RE on older kernel versions.

> > From:   Vamsi Kodavanty <vamsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Date:   Thu, 7 Jan 2021 17:31:11 -0800
> > To:     Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx>
> > Cc:     bpf <bpf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >

> > Right. Libbpf only supports a newer and safer way to attach to
> > kprobes. For your experiments, try to stick to tracepoints and you'll
> > have a better time.
> >
> > But it's another thing I've been meaning to add to libbpf for
> > supporting older kernels. I even have code written to do legacy kprobe
> > attachment, just need to find time to send a patch to add it as a
> > fallback for kernels that don't support new kprobe interface.

Initially I'd like to thank you *a lot* for this thread, it helped me
creating:

https://github.com/rafaeldtinoco/portablebpf

showing up exactly what was discussed here AND I could run the same
binary in v4.15 and v.5.8 kernels as long as BTF was generated with:

https://github.com/rafaeldtinoco/portablebpf/blob/master/patches/link-vmlinux.sh.patch

Specially the attach_kprobe_legacy() function:

https://github.com/rafaeldtinoco/portablebpf/blob/master/mine.c#L31

I wanted to reply here in case others also face this.

Only bad thing was kernel v4.15 missed global data support as showed in:

https://github.com/iovisor/bcc/blob/master/docs/kernel-versions.md

But using perf event was good enough for an example.

- rafaeldtinoco