Re: More flexible BPF socket inet_lookup hooking after listening sockets are dispatched

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 09:40:19PM +0100, Shanti Lombard wrote:
> Le 2021-01-21 12:14, Jakub Sitnicki a écrit :
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:06 PM CET, Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> >
> > There is also documentation in the kernel:
> >
> > https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/bpf/prog_sk_lookup.html
> >

> Thank you, I saw it, it's well written and very much explains it all.
>

> > Existing hook is placed before regular listening/unconnected socket
> > lookup to prevent port hijacking on the unprivileged range.
> >

> Yes, from the point of view of the BPF program. However from the point of
> view of a legitimate service listening on a port that might be blocked by
> the BPF program, BPF is actually hijacking a port bind.
>
> That being said, if you install the BPF filter, you should know what you are
> doing.

> > Having a BPF helper available to BPF sk_lookup programs that looks up a
> > socket by packet 4-tuple and netns ID in tcp/udp hashtables sounds
> > reasonable to me. You gain the flexibility that you describe without
> > adding code on the hot path.
Agree that a helper to lookup the inet_hash is probably a better way.
There are some existing lookup helper examples as you also pointed out.

I would avoid adding new hooks doing the same thing.
The same bpf prog will be called multiple times, the bpf running
ctx has to be initialized multiple times...etc.