Re: BTF without CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF=y

Kevin Sheldrake <Kevin.Sheldrake@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello
>
> I've seen mention a few times that BTF information can be made
> available from a kernel that wasn't configured with
> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF. Please can someone tell me if this is true and,
> if so, how I could go about accessing and using it in kernels 4.15 to
> 5.8?
>
> I have built the dwarves package from the github latest and run pahole
> with '-J' against my kernel image to no avail - it actually seg
> faults:
>
> ~/dwarves/build $ sudo ./pahole /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.0-1022-azure
> btf_elf__new: cannot get elf header.
> ctf__new: cannot get elf header.
> ~/dwarves/build $ sudo ./pahole -J /boot/vmlinuz-5.3.0-1022-azure
> btf_elf__new: cannot get elf header.
> ctf__new: cannot get elf header.
> Segmentation fault
> ~/dwarves/build $ sudo ./pahole --version
> v1.17
>
> Judging by the output, I'm guessing that my kernel image isn't the
> right kind of file. Can someone point me in the right direction?

vmlinuz is a compressed image. There's a script in the kernel source
tree (scripts/extract-vmlinux), however the kernel image in /boot/
probably also has debug information stripped from it, so that likely
won't help you. You'll need to get hold of a kernel image with debug
information still intact somehow...

(Either way, pahole shouldn't be segfaulting, so hopefully someone can
take a look at that).

-Toke