Help using libbpf with kernel 4.14

Hello,

I'm developing a tool which is now based on BCC, and would like to
make the move to libbpf.
I need the tool to support a minimal kernel version 4.14, which
doesn't have CO-RE.

I have read bcc-to-libbpf-howto-guide, and looked at the libbpf-tools of bcc,
but both only deal with newer kernels, and I failed to change them to
run with a 4.14 kernel.

Although some of the bpf samples in the kernel source don't use CO-RE,
they all use bpf_load.h,
and have dependencies on the tools dir, which I would like to avoid.

I would appreciate it if someone can help with a simple working
example of using libbpf on 4.14 kernel, without having any
dependencies. Specifically, I'm looking for an example makefile, and
to know how to load my bpf code with libbpf.

Thanks,
Yaniv