Re: BPF redirect API design issue for BPF-prog MTU feedback?

On Thu, 2020-09-17 at 05:54 -0700, Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:
> [...]
> > in __bpf_skb_max_len() when e.g. called by bpf_skb_adjust_room(),
> > because when redirecting packets to another netdev it is not
> > correct to
> > limit the MTU based on the incoming netdev.
> >
> > I was looking at doing the MTU check in bpf_redirect() helper,
> > because
> > at this point we know the redirect to netdev, and returning an
> > indication/error that MTU was exceed, would allow the BPF-prog
> > logic to
> > react, e.g. sending ICMP (instead of packet getting silently
> > dropped).
> > BUT this is not possible because bpf_redirect(index, flags) helper
> > don't provide the packet context-object (so I cannot lookup the
> > packet
> > length).
> >
> > Seeking input:
> >
> > Should/can we change the bpf_redirect API or create a new helper
> > with
> > packet-context?
> >
> >  Note: We have the same need for the packet context for XDP when
> >  redirecting the new multi-buffer packets, as not all destination
> > netdev
> >  will support these new multi-buffer packets.
> >
> > I can of-cause do the MTU checks on kernel-side in skb_do_redirect,
> > but
> > then how do people debug this? as packet will basically be silently
> > dropped.
> >

> > (Looking at how does BPF-prog logic handle MTU today)
> >
> > How do bpf_skb_adjust_room() report that the MTU was exceeded?
> > Unfortunately it uses a common return code -ENOTSUPP which used for
> > multiple cases (include MTU exceeded). Thus, the BPF-prog logic
> > cannot
> > use this reliably to know if this is a MTU exceeded event. (Looked
> > BPF-prog code and they all simply exit with TC_ACT_SHOT for all
> > error
> > codes, cloudflare have the most advanced handling with
> > metrics->errors_total_encap_adjust_failed++).
> >

> > [1]
> > https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/159921182827.1260200.9699352760916903781.stgit@firesoul/
> > --
> > Best regards,
> >   Jesper Dangaard Brouer
> >   MSc.CS, Principal Kernel Engineer at Red Hat
> >   LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brouer
> >

> (a) the current state of the world seems very hard to use correctly,
> so adding new apis,
> or even changing existing ones seems ok to me.
> especially if this just means changing what error code they return
>
> (b) another complexity with bpf_redirect() is you can call it, it can
> succeed,
> but then you can not return TC_ACT_REDIRECT from the bpf program,
> which effectively makes the earlier *successful* bpf_redirect() call
> an utter no-op.
>
> (bpf_redirect() just determines what a future return TC_ACT_REDIRECT
> will do)
>
> so if you bpf_redirect to interface with larger mtu, then increase

why would you redirect then touch the packet afterwards ?
if you have a bad program, then it is a user issue.

> then return TC_ACT_OK, then you potentially end up with excessively
> large
> packet egressing through original interface (with small mtu).
>
> My vote would be to return a new distinct error from bpf_redirect()
> based on then current
> packet size and interface being redirected to, save this interface
> mtu
> somewhere,
> then in operations that increase packet size check against this saved
> mtu,
> for correctness you still have to check mtu after the bpf program is
> done,
> but this is then just to deal with braindead bpf code (that calls
> bpf_redirect and returns TC_ACT_OK, or calls bpf_redirect() multiple
> times, or something...).

Another solution is to have an exception function defined in the
BPF_prog, this function by itself is another program that can be
executed to notify the prog about any exception/err that happened after
the main BPF_program exited and let the XDP program react by its own
logic.

example:

BPF_prog:
    int XDP_main_prog(xdp_buff) {
        xdp_adjust_head/tail(xdp_buff);
        return xdp_redirect(ifindex, flags);
    }

    int XDP_exception(xdp_buff, excption_code) {
        if (excetption_code == XDP_REDIRECRT_MTU_EXCEEDED) {
                ICMP_response(xdp_buff);
                return XDP_TX;
        }
        return XDP_DROP;
    }

netdev_driver_xdp_handle():
   act = bpf_prog_run_xdp(prog, xdp); // Run XDP_main_prog
   if (act == XDP_REDIRECT)
       err = xdp_do_redirect(netdev, xdp, prog);
       if (err) {
          // Run XDP_exception() function in the user prog
          // finds the exception handler of active program
          act = bpf_prog_run_xdp_exciption(prog, xdp, err);
          // then handle exception action in the driver
(XDP_TX/DROP/FORWARD)..
       }

of-course a user program will be notified only on the first err ..
if it fails on the 2nd time .. just drop..

-Saeed.